Friday, June 04, 2010
Is Your Style Really You?
When you get dressed in the morning and pull on the finishing touches to your outfit, do you feel that thrill of being dressed in an outfit that makes you feel more you? If not you may not be wearing clothing that’s right for your personal style.
As women we express who we are in all we do – how we decorate our homes, how we throw a party and how we dress ourselves. Our personal style determines our unique signature look that sets us apart and creates a look that’s all our own. You probably know someone who has a unique stand-out style, and when you’re out shopping you may have found something that was “so very her”. Her style is obvious and there’s no question that she has a signature style. Yet not all of us have such an overt style that’s easily recognizable. Many women have a wonderful sense of style that’s more subtle and toned down. It suits them and is who they are.
Many women with whom I have the pleasure to work tell me they don’t feel they have a style. Well, ladies, whether we realize it or not, we all have a personal style that we’re born with. We may not have tapped into it just yet, but I assure you it’s there. And when dressed accordingly, the effect can be magical!
Being out of sync with our personal style, or not realizing what it is, can lead to wardrobe confusion as well as the feeling that something is not quite right. Have you ever gotten dressed to the nines only to feel uncomfortable in your own skin (and clothes)? Well, a good indicator is the compliments you receive – do you hear “nice dress” or “Wow, you look fantastic!”? When you’re dressed to express your personality style, generally you’ll hear more of the latter, which is a nice confirmation that you’re doing something right.
By contrast, being in sync with our personal style has multiple benefits. First of all, it makes getting dressed a breeze because you know just what to pair with what to get the combination that suits you to a T. When you understand the nuances of accessories and how the details make all the difference, you can use them to your advantage to punctuate your look to create an outfit that is so very you. Plus, when you know what your personal style is, it makes it easy to bypass all those tempting items on the clearance rack that are calling your name – you just simply say no because you know there’s something better out there for you.
So how do you find out what your personal style is? One way is through my newest offering, Your Signature Style iD™. It’s a system that I have developed after spending more than 20 years in the fashion world that gives women a language to define their own personal style and understand how it all works together. Do you know why that shiny black shirt never really felt right when you wore it? I can tell you! Do you know what prints are best for your personality? We’ll determine that! Do you know what kind of jacket, shoes or jewelry to invest in? You’ll find that out, too. When you understand the process, you’ll have many a-ha’s and gain a deeper insight into why you’re drawn to certain items and how to incorporate them into a wardrobe that’s right for you.
The process I take women through is a simple assessment, along with some discussion and explanation. From there you’ll receive Style Icon cards that will guide you to choosing the right items for you from clothing to home accessories, to your next car!
Your Signature Style feels more like you and fits your personality as well as your lifestyle. It can be adapted to your life whether you’re a stay at home mom or high-powered business executive and can help you to put your stamp on everything you do!
To introduce Your Signature Style iD™ I am making it available through Group Workshops and virtual trainings. It is included in all my packages, but wanted to ensure that clients who have already worked with me for other services can benefit from this. It’s a wonderful tool and the third part of the foundation of building a wardrobe, aside from Color Analysis and Image Analysis. Once you determine those, you’ll have everything you need to dress well and look your best every day!
Your Signature Style iD™ is based on the 80/20 rule, with 80% of your wardrobe being comprised of clothing in your two dominant characteristics and the remaining 20% being your supporting characteristic that really sets you apart. Through this system you’ll gain an understanding of why shiny fabrics don’t work on you, or why you should wear crisp, tailored pieces in certain colors. With your session you will receive a set of style icon cards that support Your Signature Style iD™.
To sign up for my Group Your Signature Style iD™ session on June 22nd, or to inquire about working together virtually, simply contact me at Michele@onechicmama.com for details.